Sunday, March 11, 2012

how-to: low-calorie protein smoothie

Every morning I start my day with a smoothie for breakfast. Depending on the day, I either have a fruit smoothie or a blended coffee drink. One serving of the protein powder I use has 20 grams of protein, so it keeps me full for hours! The powder itself is only 110 calories, too, making it very low-calorie.

Many smoothie shops add artificial juices, concentrates, and sweeteners to their drinks. I'd rather use as few and "real" foods as possible!

For my fruit smoothie, I use one serving of protein powder, 3/4 cup water, 1 cup frozen, unsweetened berries, and a splash of milk.
If I am starting my day much earlier than usual (ahem, early classes), then I trade out the berries for half a packet of these Starbucks to-go iced coffee mixers. Adding ice to this drink tastes similar to a blended coffee drink! (Occasionally I'll put in a little dark chocolate syrup if I want it to be sweeter).
All you need to do is blend it together and you're ready to go! It only takes a few minutes, and you can bring the smoothie with you when you leave, so it's perfect for getting ready fast!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment