Saturday, January 7, 2012

For dinner

See those twice baked potatoes in the photo above?! I actually made those! And I did it all by myself.
I'm not really one in the kitchen, but lately I've been trying to cook new meals. Why?

1. Cooking my own food allows me to control the ingredients and literally shows what I am about to put in my body. When I cook for myself, I realize I create healthier meals than some of the ones I choose to eat at restaurants.

2. I'm getting a little tired of eggs, cereal, smoothies, and toast.

I'm going to try to get out of my comfort zone of making the same things I mentioned in #2 over and over. They are healthy, but I want some variety - so I go online and search for a healthy version of the recipe I'm looking for.

I've learned that cooking is all about trial and error. I've never made twice baked potatoes before, and noticed that I didn't bake these long enough. The potatoes were more crunchy than soft, when they're supposed to be soft all over. I used larger potatoes than the recipe called for, but didn't cook them longer than the recipe said to. 

Next time I try this recipe, I'll make sure to bake the potatoes longer or shorter according to the size. The filling was fantastic, though! I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top and switched out regular onions for green onions. It's all about the learning experience.

xo

1 comment: