Friday, June 24, 2011

Adventures In...Italy: Part 4 - Amalfi Coast

I think the Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Last weekend I went to Sorrento, Positano, Capri Island, and Pompei. It was a six hour bus ride from Florence to Sorrento, but definitely worth the wait. Driving along the tall and windy cliffs was gorgeous (even though buses often got stuck on the tiny roads and had to do this awkward back-up and re-try thing). The buildings are so pretty with their pastel colors against the bright blue Mediterannean water. There were purple flowers (my favorite!) everywhere. Since they have so many lemons in this part of Italy, and this is where Limoncello is made, there were so many lemon things everywhere. Lemon dish towels, lemon-shaped soap, etc. A lot of the gelato was also homemade.

We stayed at Seven Hostel in Sorrento. It is such a nice hostel. Definitely the best one I've stayed in. Other than not having shampoo and towels provided, it was basically a hotel. I shared my room with four other girls where we had this little private room overlooking the balcony, conveniently located right next to the rooftop bar. :)
The beach was definitely one of my favorite parts of being in Positano. I loved my weekends in Ireland and London, but I was ready to be somewhere tropical and warm and be on the beach. It was so nice to go swimming and get a little tan. Yep, the water was actually this blue:
Speaking of swimming, I also got to go swimming in the Blue Grotto. It was AMAZING. Such a cool thing. Apparently it's one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. I loved it, and swimming in it made it even better.
And again, the water inside the cave was actually this gorgeous color blue! No editing whatsoever. Amazing.

We also did this chair lift ride that gave a really pretty view of the island in Capri. It went so high up, that we were in the clouds.
Our last morning was spent in Pompei, and we got to see the ruins. Back in ancient times, there was a huge volcanic eruption that killed many people and covered the city in ash. But when the city was uncovered much later, they found that the ash actually preserved the area pretty well. It was crazy to see mummified people with the bones sticking out and the emotion on their faces when they died in the eruption.

Ah, I love Italy. I don't want to leave. Unfortunately, I'm leaving tomorrow :(
This has been a great experience, I don't want it to end just yet!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment