Monday, October 15, 2012

when I was 17

I just found this fabulous blog ... and I am so excited to get in on "Show & Tell Monday" this week! The theme is "When I was 17." I like reflecting on the past from time to time and seeing what is similar or different. I have a feeling by the end of this post I will be slightly nostalgic for my high school days!

Here are the questions...

1. When you were 17, tell us what kind of car you drove, where you worked, and what you were usually up to on the weekends?
I still drive my little '07 Ford! I got it for my 16th birthday and have many memories driving to high school, dance team, and football games blasting old music faves with my friends. When I was 17 I got my first job working the front desk at a Gold's Gym and worked there the summer before college. On the weekends, I would do the typical high school stuff like go to football or basketball games, or go out to eat or to the movies with friends. I wasn't much of a partier back in high school. Oh, and every Saturday morning, I had dance team practice bright and early at 8am! It was usually a 3-4 hour practice, but leading up to the state competition, it was 8 hours every Saturday for a month.

2. Show us a picture of you when you were 17.
What's more "17" than prom?
3. When you were 17, tell us what you wanted to be when you "grew up."

I had no idea. I was applying to colleges and applied with intended majors with everything from public relations, to business, to chemistry, to sociology. (I applied as a PR major for Gonzaga, stuck with it, and love it!) I thought about doing something with magazines, and I still think about possibly going down the magazine/publishing path....

4. When you were 17, tell us the kind of boys that you dated. Did you have a type? Do you have a relationship you remember well? Tell us about it.

I was in my first relationship when I was 17. Since I hadn't dated other guys before, I didn't quite have a "type." I dated the boy I went to prom with and we were together all summer and long distance our freshman year of college. Looking back, long distance was not the right decision. A lot happened and while I won't go into details on here, but I learned a lot from that relationship.
6. When you were 17, tell us where you pictured your life 10 years from then. Did it turn out the way you expected it to?

Ahh! It hasn't been 10 years yet! It has been four years since I was 17, but even in these four years, so much has changed! When I was 17 I was applying to colleges and did not expect to go to Gonzaga. I had my heart set on college in Southern California, and almost went there, but decided on Gonzaga last-minute. I am so happy here and love my college life. I didn't expect to be so involved with school, didn't know if I'd even be dancing in college (so glad I am!), study abroad (Italy is amazing), or pick up a journalism minor (even though I loved magazines, I thought journalism was solely for newspaper reporters!) I didn't expect to start my own blog or even write for College Fashion, which was/still is my all-time favorite blog in high school. I never thought I'd be a fitness instructor - I didn't even know what Zumba was when I was 17! I was wary about whether I'd stay close with my high school friends or if we'd drift in college. Like many groups of friends, I still have great memories with my high school friends but other than a few, we have drifted. I'm super close with my college friends though; we're like a family. :) I guess we'll see where I'll be when I'm actually 27, but for now, I'm enjoying life!
Yay! I'm glad I did this post. I just got nostalgic for my high school years :) here are some more pics when I was 17!
Dance Team - lyrical/jazz state routine (1st place at that comp!)
Dance Team - our AWESOME Britney Spears state routine! I am in the center of the photo. (1st place at that comp!)
With my friend Lexie, homecoming 2008
Tolo with my old friend James
With my bestie Liz! We're still good friends to this day.
New York with my brother - this was our Christmas card
With my friend Brittany
With my friend Lauren
High school graduation
Those sunglasses broke and I was sad...until I found a very similar pair at a store about a year later!
Me n' my bestie Jenn!
xo-ally
What is your favorite memory from when you were 17 years old?

4 comments:

  1. such a fun idea for a post! You were too cute, well you still are, but I loved your little pink prom dress!

    xo, Emily
    bluedogbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! my prom dress was my favorite formal dress!

      Delete
  2. I did this link-up too! Sooo much fun thinking back on high school & going through pics! Britney Spears dance routine?? That is MY GIRL! I'm sure it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh cool I'll go check it out! and yesss our state pom routine was awesome, it mixed a bunch of b spears songs (including womanizer, which was new at the time), toxic, hit me baby, etc....and we had FOUR poms each! Okay, now I'm babbling on about dance, haha....anyways, thanks for stopping by my blog!
      xo-ally

      Delete